Original building permit information obtained from:
University of Illinois at Chicago – Daley Library – Microfilm Department
Microfilms reels containing permit cards are stored by date and area of city.
Information on building permit cards:
- Current structure address
- Original/previous structure address
- ID number of permit
- Date permit issued
Information on permit cards is used to identify the microfilm reels containing the ledgers.
- Locate permit date in ledgers
- Locate permit number in ledgers
- Information spans two pages in permit ledgers
Property Owner Search
Research regarding deeds and previous owners of a property (prior to 1985) is conducted via a Tract Search in the basement of the Cook County Recorder of Deeds office in the County Building, 118 N. Clark Street (M – F, 9 – 5).
- Obtain PIN of property
- Search by PIN on web site: http://cookrecorder.com/ – online searches only go back to 1985
- Identify and document the Lot #, Legal Description, and Subdivision from one of the transactions (Warranty Deed)
- Go to the basement of the Recorder of Deeds and search in “binder” to identify the book # which contains the ledger for the property (request assistance at desk)
- Locate the book # in the tables/shelves
- In the front of the book, find the Subdivision
- Go to the page # specified
- Locate transactions for the Lot # in the ledger
- Photographing the books is not permitted
The subdivision for all houses on the south side of Berteau:
Dickinsons A W Sub LT 11 W Milwaukee Ave – Transactions found in Book 237-N
The subdivision for all houses on the north side of Berteau:
Gardners Add to Montrose Sixth Add – Transactions found in Book 237-M-2
The earliest transactions located for the lots on our block occurred 7-15-1907 and invariably involved Arthur Dickinson.